Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Sideless surcoat

So I found this textile in my gradma's closet.


It wasn't enough for a ful medieval dress, so I deceided to make a surcoat. There are lots of descriptions  of the form and embelishment and I wanted something special, something that could have been in my region in the 15th century, and believe me there are not so many anymore, given the region (Transilvania) and the period.

 These are two details of period fresco, from a church in Kilyen.

I choose this form because of the fabric detail.


... I deceided that it should be embelished, since one of them has design on the fresco ...


... I simply cut four oblongs ...

so this was my plan, given the fabric dimensions were 2m x2m

... and sewed it along the bindings and edges ...

yes this is me, sorry for the face
I choose black velvet for the margins, which gives contrast and slims more ...

me again with the trim and happier
I have thought long and hard after this, about the embelishment and I remembered that on a visit in a "near" by fortress-church I really liked the ceiling ...


... which resembles on a period embroidery ...
(headwear)
from Gotha, Housebook Master, 1480
 ... and a repro' from Katafalk

I combined the beads and the design and viola: 

in the process of forming



Sorry I have not made (yet) a full picture.



and finally this is me dancing in my new surcoat

No comments:

Post a Comment